The Walkers

The Walkers

Monday, March 5, 2012

Life is Fragile

This past weekend I found out that my kids' pediatrician, Dr. Greg Nielsen through Utah Valley Pediatrics, passed away. It was such a shock, especially considering that he is young, probably only in his late 30's or early 40's. Malea had an appointment with him a few days before and they called to reschedule the appointment because he was sick. Then the next I heard he had passed away. I don't know all the details, but apparently it was from a serious Staph infection, combined with a heart condition and a high fever that led to a stroke. He leaves behind a wife and 5 young children.
:(



We chose him as a pediatrician when Malea was born, so about 4 years ago now. I didn't know him personally other than through a professional relationship, but I have been surprised at how much the news has affected me. I have gotten emotional about it on several occasions when talking about it with other people, and I felt inclined to blog about it. He was one of the greatest doctors, so caring and genuine. He was always so sweet with my kids. I was so happy when I found a great doctor and wanted to stick with him throughout the years with all my children. My concerns were always validated, and I never felt like I was "wasting his time" when I took my kids in for illnesses. I have had experiences where doctors have had this attitude, and I never went back. He took the time to answer any questions or concerns we had, and didn't make us feel rushed. He was starting to get busier, obviously because he was so good, and I was getting to the point where I didn't want to tell anyone about him because I didn't want him to get busier! (lol). He was very cautious, maybe even overly so, but I appreciated that. There are several experiences throughout these past 4 years, with both Malea and Isaac, where he showed such sensitivity. He would go out of his way to make sure I was informed and to give me peace of mind about my concerns. The community is losing an amazing doctor, and a great man.

Death is always such an awakening for me. We go along through life, putting stock into such menial, unimportant things, and forget how fragile it is. I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have of eternal families. I hope that his family can find peace in this knowledge during this difficult time. This experience has given me a reminder of making sure to keep my house in order, and to make sure my loved ones know how much I love them, because you never know when it will come to an end.

No comments: