So once
again I am way behind on blogging, and I have lots of posts to catch up
on, but I wanted to do a quick post about Malea's leg. So last
Wednesday (the 11th) Malea was jumping on the neighbor's trampoline....I
am usually pretty strict about not letting her jump when there are a
lot of kids on there or when there are bigger kids jumping, but this
particular day I didn't check in advance before letting her go over to
jump. The next thing I know I hear her crying really hard outside so I
went out there and one of the other neighbor girls was helping her limp
back home. At first I thought she hurt her ankle but once I got her
inside and finally got her to tell me where it hurt she pointed to her
left knee. I found out after talking to some of the other kids that an
older kid bounced her really high and she landed weird on it. I got her
some ice for it and she just stayed on the couch for the rest of the
evening. I didn't rush her right in to the doctor because I didn't want
to overreact if it was just a sprain or a bad bruise or something. She
went to bed that night and slept horrible. She woke up in the morning
and refused to walk on it, and if you tried to move her or even get
close to her knee she freaked out. I mentioned something about it on
facebook, and someone commented saying that it is actually really common
for kids to break their legs right below the knee on trampolines, and I
should probably take her in. After reading that, and watching her sit
on the couch all day refusing to walk on it, we decided to take her in
to Instacare. She had x-rays done and then the doctor came in and told
us that she had indeed had a buckle fracture right below her left knee
:( Of course after that I felt horrible for not taking her in right
away, but the doctor said that sometimes parents will bring their kids
in and it turns out that its nothing, so that made me feel a little
better. He wrapped her leg in a splint and told us that she needed to
go in to get a cast on Monday after the swelling has gone down a little bit.
Malea after we got back from Instacare and after a tricky sponge bath :(
Some of the neighbor kids have come and played with her outside on our bench, it has been fun for her
Eating family dinner at the card table with Malea
The worst news he told us was that she couldn't walk on it for 2-3 weeks, at which point she could get a walking cast but she would have to have a cast for 6 weeks total :( My first thought was, goodbye summer! :'( I was so bummed out that this happened right in the heart of summer, and that she would be getting it off right when summer was over. I was also bummed because I am only a few days away from being done with summer semester and then I have a month off of school. I had big plans to do all kinds of fun stuff with the kids during my month off. I was especially frustrated because she is the most cautious child, I for sure thought her little brother would have broken a bone before her!
Grandpa Dave came by and brought her a Magnadoodle that she can sit and play with, it was so nice!
They're also letting us borrow their wagon for the next few weeks too :)
Malea with her cast, she was excited to get a pink one
So now we are just trying to survive the next couple of weeks until the 31st when she goes in to get her walking cast. She can't put any weight on her leg at all so we have to carry her everywhere. We didn't realize how much she does for herself and for Isaac until she can't walk! We were excited to hear that they had waterproof casts so she can still go swimming and stuff. And of course she got a pink one. :) We have had to get creative with things for her to do, and you can tell she is getting bored, but she has been such a good sport about the whole thing. Hopefully summer is not completely lost ;)




3 comments:
Poor little thing. I can't even imagine how hard this must be on all of you.
Poor little girl! At least she has such a fun mommy that will help her be entertained. And I LOVE the pink cast!! If you guys need anything let me know.
Poor thing. That is hard for you, too, losing your little helper and having to tote her everywhere. I hope you guys are able to still enjoy your summer and your break.
Post a Comment