The Walkers

The Walkers

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Graduate School

So guess what?.....I have been accepted to graduate school!!!!

I will be doing a Masters in School Counseling at Adams State College in Alamosa, Colorado.


I've done A LOT of research in to different programs and what the requirements are in Utah to become licensed. I have been looking in to grad school for about 4-5 months. ASC is going to be a good fit for me and my situation. I was also really considering a program at the University of North Dakota that is similar to the one at Adams State, but they didn't have the CACREP accredidation that Utah requires. Don't worry, I won't be uprooting my family to Colorado! Almost the whole program is online. I do have to go there once a summer for a week for what they call a summer intensive. The students in my cohort will all meet there and we will do some face-to-face coursework and practice actual counseling. I will also be evaluated by the professors and be given things to work on. The nice thing about that is my husband has an aunt and uncle who live in Durango, CO which is only 2-3 hours from Alamosa. So we will be able to make a little family trip out of it. :) My last couple of semesters of the program will be an internship at a local school of my choice. I will have to complete 100 practicum hours and 600 internship hours (spread out over two semesters).

I am so excited, but a little nervous too. I have never even taken an online class before, so I'm sure it will be an adjustment. I will have to be very self motivated. :) I just don't think that I could do it any other way, especially being a mom. There is so much flexibility with doing an online program. I am also trying not to give in to my insecurities. I've been out of school for over 4 years, and I have two kids! Ahhh! I just have to keep reminding myself that I can't look at the whole thing at once. My Grandma "M" used to say, "by the inch its a cinch, by the yard its hard."

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

** Adrian ** said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! I am taking online classes, too... only I've been out of school for over TEN years & had NEVER taken a "real" college class until last semester! YIKES!! It's gone well so far & I'm all geared up to go again starting tomorrow. ;) I just keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end. . . even if it takes me a little longer than usual to reach my goal!

GOOD LUCK! You'll do amazing I'm sure!!

The Brady Bunch said...

YAY!! Congratulations! This is really exciting Kenz. You are going to do awesome! GOOD LUCK!

Amy said...

You've always been really smart, so I'm sure you'll do great. You're somebody I would have like to of cheated off in high school ;)Instead I just got my usual "B" rather then straight A's like you.
Good Luck!

Diana Dye said...

Oh you don't need luck. You're the perfect type of student for online classes; you don't procrastinate and you're good at following through. I am very excited for you!

Jill said...

I'm so proud of you, Kenz. It sounds like this program is a perfect set up for you.