The Walkers

The Walkers

Monday, January 7, 2013

Back after a 4 month blogging break!

So I'm finally back after going 4+ months without an update!  I feel like a slacker, but really with everything we had going on this last semester, blogging just wasn't a top priority!  So here's what has been going on.

We bought our house and closed on I believe it was the 16th of August (which was a Thursday).  The guy we bought the house from was *supposed* to be out that day but he had a lot of crap and said he needed the weekend to get completely moved out.  We were annoyed because we had scheduled Home Depot to come do a carpet measurement that Saturday but we had to re-schedule which set us back a few days.  We also had to be out of our apartment by August 31st but ended up having to pay for staying two extra days so that we could get everything done.  Annoying at the time, but oh well!  So from the time we picked up our keys on Monday the 20th to by the time we were completely moved in (and out of our old place) on September 2nd it was a whirlwind!!  It was one of the most stressful times of my entire life, I think!

Before pics of the outside of the house

 (Lots more picture below, if you just want to see pics keep on scrolling down!)

 The previous owner left it very dirty, so I had to go through and wash all the walls before we could paint.  I also hired a cleaning company to come deep clean the bathrooms.  My amazing Dad came and helped us get it ready to be painted.  We wanted to paint the house before we got carpet so that we wouldn't risk getting paint on the new carpet.  My Dad came and helped us rip out all the old (NASTY) carpet and prep it for paint.  I was there with him all day every day that week, so my poor kids had to be pawned off to babysitters when Keith was at work.  My sweet Dad used his sprayer and painted the entire upstairs in a day!  It was amazing.  We then prepped the downstairs (which I didn't even expect to get done but we did!) and he sprayed that in a day as well.  Meanwhile when all of this was going on, we also had a tree company there cutting down this HUMONGOUS tree that was in the backyard, and they also cut down these gross bushes that were in the front (that were no doubt infested with spiders and who knows what else).  We also had a pest control company come and spray the entire inside and outside.  Our house was abuzz with lots of different stuff going on!  After my Dad painted the whole house white, I spent one evening painting an accent wall in the living a blueish-turquoise color that I love.  It was so fun to be able to paint our place since we had never lived somewhere that we could do that. We had so many amazing family, friends, and neighbors (old and new) come help us move, and we couldn't have done it without them!   We also had tons of help from neighbors and ward members in helping us to get moved out of our old place and get it cleaned.  I was so exhausted and had become an emotional basket case by that point because I didn't know how I was going to get it all done.  Thankfully we had a lot of help! 

A few days after we moved in, I started fall semester.  This ended up being one of the most stressful semesters thus far. Not only had we just moved and were remodeling (living without a kitchen, eating off of paper plates, eating out for all of our meals, etc) but I was also working graveyards 2 nights a week, I got called in to the Young Women's in our new ward, and was taking 3 classes (all the semesters before this I had only taken 2 classes/semester).  Then on top of it I got called up to jury duty midway through October!  I thought I was going to die.  Somehow we miraculously got through it.  I got my first B in graduate school and lost my 4.0 but I realized that my sanity was more important than being a perfectionist. :)  Isaac had his 2nd birthday on September 7th, so we threw him a party at a park close by, and we also took a trip to Disneyland (that we had planned months before we knew we would be moving), both of which I will blog about later. :)  Like I said, crazy few months!

Once we got moved in, we started unpacking and getting settled.  The crazy thing, though, was that we had to live without a functioning kitchen for about 2 months.  Before we moved in, my Dad told me that he had the opportunity to get us a whole kitchen remodel virtually for free.  The company he works for was doing a project in American Fork where they were widening a road, so the houses on that street were being torn down.  One of the houses was being used as their office, and he was told that he could take anything out of the house that he wanted to before it got torn down.  That included kitchen cabinets, a dishwasher, stove top, wall oven, sink, and real wood floor.  The key was that he had to help us get moved in first, then he had to spend a couple of weekends getting everything ripped out of the old house and moved over.  I tell you, that man is a saint!  He works full-time and then pretty much all his spare time was spent working on this kitchen remodel.  It was really stressful living without a kitchen, but it was worth the sacrifice to get this amazing kitchen.  Before we moved in my Dad ripped out a pantry wall that in the kitchen, which opened it up.  Then we just patched it up and lived with it unfinished for 2 months until my Dad and brother were able to come over to rip out the old cabinets/flooring and put in the new kitchen.  So mid-October they (my Dad, brother, and Keith) started the kitchen remodel, and had most of it done within one weekend.  It was amazing!  The only thing we had to pay for was a new counter top, which in the grand scheme of things was practically nothing.  The kitchen he transplanted from this other house was not brand new, but it was a million times nicer than what was there before (and a lot cleaner!).  My brother (who is an electrician) did all of the wiring for us and was there for many hours helping us get everything done.  We are seriously so blessed!  My in-laws have also done a TON to help us as well.  They came down to visit at the beginning of October and helped us sheet rock the downstairs play room (it was the only room that didn't get painted because the wood paneling was warped from some kind of leak so we wanted to get that worked out first).  We have since finished the play room and I am in LOVE with it, there will be pictures to follow. :)  They came down again over Christmas and helped us put down flooring in our entry way, which turned out really nice too (I still need to get a picture of it).
Before pics of the inside








 The picture below is the downstairs living room....sadly, the guy had so much crap covering every square inch of the place that when we bought the house we didn't even know there was brick behind it!


 Picture of the little S.O.B.'s that have decided to live in our front lawn, we have since paid a pest control company to come try to get rid of them, we've done baits and we've tried to smoke them out, hopefully they will be gone by spring!


 My Dad starting demolition on the pantry wall







A picture taken after the bushes were taken out, it looks so much better!


After paint and carpet :)




Tree company cutting down the tree.  I know you're probably thinking, why cut down that beautiful shade tree?  Well that devil tree had made a huge mess of the backyard with just its crazy roots, it had cracked the foundation, was lifting up the cement pad and making the deck stairs unstable, and the branches were hanging down over the roof, just to name a few reasons :))  That thing was a doozy to cut down.  The guy who owned the company said that he under-bid us (oopsie!).  They cut down the tree and then put a chemical down in the root to kill it off.  Then about 6 weeks later they came back to grind down the roots, so now I have a mountain of bark and mulch in my backyard (covered with snow).



After pics

(Kitchen before the counter top was installed, I have also since hung up curtains)


Kitchen with counter top (LOVE IT!!!!!)



Play room finished :)




We still have a lot of projects to get done, especially the upstairs bathroom and a ton of work is needed in the back yard (which will be this summer's project) but when I think of where we started and where we are now I feel a great sense of accomplishment.  I think my parents thought we were nuts when they saw the house, but we had a vision and it is coming to fruition!  We have had a lot of neighbors say that they are so impressed with how it looks and how grateful they are that we moved in (not to be rude, but the guy that lived there before didn't take care of the house at all!  It was a real eye sore).  I think this will be the last time I do a major house remodel, at least while we have young kids and being in graduate school. :)  I love the house and feel like we could live here for many years to come!  

3 comments:

Di said...

Oh my goodness it looks amazing! I am impressed at the potential you saw in the house and got it done! I don't think just anyone can do a home remodel. Good work!

Mandy said...

HOLY COW!!! I am exhausted just reading that!!!! You are amazing!!!!!!!!!! The house looks great! I am so happy it all came together. What a huge undertaking! It looks fabulous! I hope you will be happy there for many years to come!!!!

Jill said...

Your house transformation is seriously so amazing. I can't believe you got all that kitchen stuff for free!?! What a fortunate find! I cannot wait to come see it. I don't know how you survived that last semester. You have won the ultimate title of She-Ra for sure!