All colleges sent their students home and went online. Non-essential businesses were forced to close, and people were told that if it was possible to work from home, they had to do it (this included Keith). Church was switched to at-home only, temples closed, and Missionaries were sent home from their missions. You weren't allowed to go in a restaurant, only drive thru or curbside. Weddings were cancelled, funerals had to be limited to family. We were told that we had to go in to quarantine, where we weren't allowed to spend time with anyone outside of our house hold, in order to "flatten the curve". Eventually all play grounds were closed. Everything on the news was scary.
First day of "at-home school" aka remote learning
First day of "at-home school" aka remote learning
Pics of the kids after we started remote learning (it was rough....there were lots of tears and frustrations, missing friends and normalcy, etc)
Isaac on a Zoom meeting with Mrs. Taylor, his 3rd grade English teacher. She was his favorite teacher and he was so sad he didn't get to finish the school year in person with her.
Malea had an assignment to make a slide show about something, so she chose gardening and shared her presentation with the family
Keith starting work from home (which he is still doing 6 months later, and probably will until at least 2021). There are times it has been a blessing, and times it has been hard (like when the kids are loud 😬)
Then! To make matters worse, Utah had an earthquake on March 18th. That was crazy! It was already a scary, uncertain time, and then the earthquake just made it feel that much more scary. We felt it a little bit down here in Springville, but it was a lot worse up in the Salt Lake area. The stores were already having a hard time keeping up with the demand, and the earthquake made it 10x worse.
It was one of the hardest times of my life. I think I cried every day for weeks. Everything was so weird and uncertain. Every fun activity and event was cancelled. Malea was just wrapping up her last year of elementary school, and all the "lasts" she would normally get to experience were cancelled. I cried about this daily for months and even still tear up about when I think about it too much. Claire was wrapping up her last year of pre-k. Isaac had lots of things to look forward to at the end of 3rd grade. All cancelled. I felt like I was taking on the emotions of all my kids and their disappointments and fears. I know things weren't as bad for us as they were for some people, but it was still really hard. A couple of weeks into quarantine we found out Keith had to take a 20% pay cut for 6 months. Some people got laid off, so we were grateful he had a job at all, but it was still a huge blow, especially after just building a new house. We had lots of plans and things we wanted to do for our yard and house that had to be put on hold. At the time all the play grounds were closed, and we had no grass at all. So despite money being tight, we got some grass put in our backyard, just so the kids had somewhere to play!
A picture from when I cleaned out Malea's backpack recently. It felt like it was frozen in time. Her incomplete March reading calendar, the script from the play "Peter Pan" that she was supposed to be in, a flyer for the book fair that was supposed to happen the week after school was cancelled, her permission slip for the track meet. All cancelled 😭💔
Thankfully, around the end of May, Utah was able to switch to yellow phase, which meant that things could open back up slowly (with precautions). This meant we were able to have a somewhat normal summer. I feel fortunate that this was the case, because things are still pretty strict in a lot of other states.
Signs like this are everywhere, although now instead of "requested" they say "required". You can't go in to most major stores without one (i.e. Walmart, Smiths, Target, etc).
During quarantine we went on lots of walks and bike rides. We were lucky to have bikes, because during this time it was actually hard to even find bikes or scooters at the store!
Lots of movie nights! These two also had sleepovers on the couches, which was kind of fun and different
The library was closed, but you could order books online and go pick them up.
Mostly I wanted to do this post for memory's sake. But also as a reminder that we got through, and are still going through, something really hard. We have really had to band together as a family. There were weeks where the kids had to spend lots of time together, and were each other's friends. We played lots of board games together, went on bike rides, did movie nights and made forts, and explored our new neighborhood. We landscaped our backyard and Malea started a garden. It wasn't always easy, but I'm glad they had each other. It really put into perspective what is most important. It was also a good reminder to be prepared with our food storage and emergency kits, especially after earthquake.
Now it is September, and in Utah things are a little better but still uncertain. Thankfully, the kids were able to go back to school in person (HALLELUJAH), at least for now. They do have to wear masks, which is really hard and heartbreaking (I cried a lot of tears over that announcement too, and it took me weeks to come to terms with it), but we are glad they are able to go at all (a lot of states are still doing remote learning). Our numbers were really low for a while, and now they are spiking some. I'm really worried about them closing schools again. With cold and flu season coming, I really worry about what is to come. But I am just trying to take things day by day.
2020 still isn't over, and we have had even more craziness outside of the pandemic, like an upcoming election and all that entails, the black lives matter movement and protests, etc. Lots of memes and jokes on social media talk about how we all can't wait for this year to be over, and hopefully things will go back to normal soon (although, I don't think a lot of things will be "normal" again for years). There are lots of things I could go in to, about how this pandemic was handled, how political it has gotten, whether or not we should have to be this strict about everything, how mental health is suffering nationwide and the economy is being affected, etc. Its a very complex issue. But I'll just say that I have good days and bad days, and mostly just miss my pre-covid life. This experience will be a good lesson in enduring through trials and trying to make the best of hard situations. We have lived through a historical event that I hope we never have to experience again!




2 comments:
Wowsers you summed up my emotions perfectly. I was angry/sad until school let out for real. I couldn't stop mourning what should have been.
Thanks for writing this. I never did write a good historical summary about what went down because I was in denial and mad about it. I didn't think about you not having grass!
I love that you left a comment!!!! 😁 This makes me so happy. And thanks, I know this wasn't a happy, upbeat post but I wanted to put down my true feelings of how challenging this time was. Truth be told, it was a little hard to type it out, I was actually a little grumpy after for having to relive it. But I'm glad I did it, for memory's sake.
Post a Comment