[The view from where I sit]
For the past few weeks I have been studying for "comps", which is short for the comprehensive exam that is required for graduation in my program. The test is called the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Exam, or CPCE. In addition to finishing up 300 more internship hours, taking three more classes, and being a mom, I have to find the time to study for this exam that is coming up on Feb. 22nd in SLC (who needs sleep, right? ;)). I set up a weekly schedule of page numbers from the Encyclopedia of Counseling and audio book CD's to listen to, and so far I have been sticking to the schedule pretty well. I am also super nerdy and color coordinated my note cards to the 8 content areas of the test (Research, Ethics, Multicultural, Theory, Groups Counseling, Appraisal, Lifestyle & Career Counseling, Family Counseling, I think that is it). The test has 160 questions and I have to pass with about 70% (not too bad). I am reassured by the fact that according to my school there is about a 90% pass rate on the first try. I'm just praying that I don't fall in to that 10% range :)
I have really enjoyed graduate school and have learned SO much, not just about theory and practice but about myself. I am so proud of myself, especially that I have been able to push myself out of my comfort zone and grow so much. But at the same time, I am so exhausted....mentally, emotionally, even physically. In the last 2 1/2 years I have probably gotten sick with some kind of infection or virus every 4-6 weeks (not exaggerating). The stress of this program, especially the last couple of semesters, has at times been more than I thought I could bear. Let's just say that I cannot WAIT to be done! I can't wait to have "spare time" again (which isn't much when you're a mom but it's virtually non-existent while being in school). I can't wait to be able to give my kids the full attention and energy that they deserve. I can't tell you how many times I have just cried from the guilt of not being there as much as I would like to be for my kids. I have been lucky to have an amazing husband who picks up the slack for me in so many ways so that I could accomplish this goal. I just keep day dreaming about summer and all the fun things we are going to do! I can't wait to be done and am so excited to go to Colorado in May and officially graduate with my Master's degree!!!
ALMOST THERE!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment